We transform lives by using collaborative songwriting to expand creativity, connections, and strengths.
What We Do
SongwritingWith:Soldiers uses songwriting as a catalyst for positive change. We offer our participants a unique way to tell their stories, rebuild trust, release pain, and forge new bonds. In SW:S retreat and workshop settings, service members are paired with professional songwriters to craft songs about their experiences, often about combat and the return home. Through their songs, participants rediscover their creativity and reconnect with family, friends, and communities. The songs are recorded and shared through CDs, concerts, and social media in order to bridge the divide between military and civilian communities, and build awareness of the challenges faced by our returning service members.
We include additional “Creative Composition” workshops to inspire creative pursuits in areas such as film, food, meditation, journaling, and more. We foster continued connections among participants by offering creativity coaching online after events to keep the fires burning, and train SW:S alumni as peer support for future events.
The impact of our program ripples far and wide.
• Primary expenses are covered for participants and family members
• More than 35 events have been held at locations in Texas, New York, California, Maryland, Florida, Virginia, Michigan, Arizona and Colorado
• Members of all military branches are referred to SW:S through contacts with VA Hospitals, Veterans Centers, and Mental Health professionals
• More than 400 military members and family members have co-written more than 400 songs** with award-winning professional songwriters
• Our songwriter list keeps growing and includes: Beth Nielsen Chapman, Jay Clementi, Ashley Cleveland, Marshall Crenshaw, David Forman, Radney Foster, J. D. Martin, Gary Nicholson, Mary Gauthier, James House, Brad Parker, Georgia Middleman,Terry Radigan, Darrel Scott, Darden Smith, Amy Speace, Greg Trooper. They have written hundreds of hits (This Kiss, I’m In, One More Last Chance, and more.); many recorded by Willie Nelson, Keith Urban, Faith Hill, Vince Gill, Delbert McClinton, Trisha Yearwood, Luke Bryan, Garth Brooks and many other top musicians.
* As of June 2018
** Not all songs are made public